Music ignites all areas of a child's development and skills; intellectual, social and emotional, motor, language, and overall literacy. It helps the body and the mind work together and creates successful learners who are responsible, confident individuals.
The Music Service offer
Through Southwark Music Service, every child in your school can experience inclusive, high quality music making and enjoy performing. We work with teachers and pupils across the borough of Southwark, tailoring music lessons and activities to the needs of individual schools.
We offer schools our popular Curriculum Partnership Programme which provides music curriculum lessons at primary level. One of our senior tutors will teach all your classes and lead singing assemblies and small instrumental groups as required.
We take time to talk to Head teachers, heads of department, music co-ordinators and individual class teachers to fully understand the musical needs and aspirations of each school.
Wherever we work, we contribute to the musical life and well being of the school and its community. We create successful learners who grow in confidence as they gain new social and technical skills to play, sing, perform and lead each other.
- Whole class instrumental tuition in recorder, stringed instruments, brass instruments, African drumming and samba.
- At transition level whole class ‘Musical Futures’ programme where young people learn to play guitar, bass guitar, drum kit, keyboards and sing and play in bands.
- Continuing professional development for secondary teachers in an area of their choice which is modelled in whole classes.
- The supply of all the instruments and expert tutors who can work independently in the classroom or alongside school staff.
- Programmes for Early Years, Key Stage One, Key Stage Two and Secondary pupils